1.17.2011

All over the place

School has started and it has been amazing BUT hectic. I’m overwhelmed with all the things that I have to learn. I’m very excited though and the labs are way fun! We learned charting and how to take vital signs last week. I had never taken blood pressures before, and I kept forgetting to loosen up the cuff when I was done reading the measurement. My poor partner had to keep reminding me “Grecia, you’re going to cut off my circulation!” Hahahaha! I’m totally stoked for all the adventures that are to come. Tomorrow will be my first day wearing my scrubs. It’s going to be memorable (I’ll make sure to take pictures). Did I mention that my stethoscope is PINK also? Well it is. It’s cute and I love it!

Pharmacology is going to be the end of me. I can’t believe the hundreds, thousands of drugs out there. I just learned how to do dosage calculations and when I’m a nurse I’m going to have to be carrying paper, pencil, and a calculator around ‘cause I’ll never be able to do those in my head!

We were also handed a sheet of unapproved and approved abbreviations that we have to memorize and wow, I’m going to be mixing those up. I just know it.

Trivia for the day: BRP= Bathroom Privileges. In case you needed to know? Oh and PR= Per Rectum.

13 comments:

  1. your days do sound a little busy :) but a pink stethoscope is sure to make your days a little brighter :) so cute!

    my goodness so many things to memorize...i couldn't do it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw, I'm so excited for you! I love that your stethoscope is pink. You're going to be a great nurse. Have fun tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pharm IS going to be the death of you, but it's possible. I just took it last semester. My school does it in 3rd semester, after Fundamentals.

    Some tips: Memorize how certain groups work, not just each drug. It will help tremendously. Also, I couldn't have survived without the books; Pharmacology made incredibly easy, or pharmacology DeMystified.

    You can do it, but your life as you know it is over. :(( It's so sad. I actually lost a friend last semester because I neglected our friendship so often due to studying and school commitments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a nurse, the calculator is your best friend. That's the truth of the day. Or one of them. You get your own stethoscope? Don't they have any at the hospitals? It would be cool to have a pink one though... :D
    I worked for a short time in Ireland and realized how many abbreviations there are in the hospital world in English. Wow! We have them but NOT as many!! Good luck with your studies and cheers from a Swedish nurse:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck girl, you can do it!:) My stethoscope is purple, the place I went didn't have a pink one! I am very jealous of you! Have fun wearing your scrubs tomorrow,they are so comfortable! Haha. I didn't know PR or BRP. We only learned about 30 or so, we went off the hospitals rules on abbreviations that we attend for clinicals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so jealous you get to wear scrubs! There are so many to choose from I bet yours are adorable! School sounds super busy but it seems like you are enjoying every moment so thats awesome girl! Good luck this semester and just keep being positive and you'll make it through! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a hot pink stethoscope, too! YAY!

    Good luck! It's going to be hard, but you CAN do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ps. I added you on my "my favorite blogs" page! I hope that's okay :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh i miss scrubs.. so comfy and relaxing.. i hope you enjoy getting to wear them as much as i did. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's nothing better than wearing pajamas to work! Thanks for following me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. you'll do great! just get through it with faith:) thanks so much for praying for nanno! have a fabulous week:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. yay! i'm going to go back to school in the fall! i'm soooooo excited!!

    allister bee blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha how COOl is it that your stethoscope is pink!!
    Good luck with everything sugar!

    ReplyDelete